Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hello!!

I just wanted to touch base with everyone and let you guys know I am doing great!!  I go in to the doctor three times a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) for a complete blood count (CBC).  Although my numbers are low, they are holding their own after my last round of chemo.  My Oncologists are hopeful I don't have to have any more transfusions before the transplant.  


Jeff and I are getting ready to go to Seattle for the big day!  I am so excited!! We all are, we just want this behind us.  My first appointment is on August 30th.  At that time, I will meet with the doctors and begin a series of medical tests checking over my entire body.  After the tests, I will have high dose chemotherapy for about seven days and then the transplant!!  The transplant day is referred to as my "rebirth" day!  Yes.. TWO birthdays a year!!! 


As I've said before, going through something like this is definitely life changing!!  Fortunately I slept through the horrific days when my family had to experience what had to be one of their worst nightmares.  It appeared every time they heard news; it was always something a little worse …. I went into respiratory failure, I was on a ventilator for four days, diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia and my only chance of survival is a bone marrow transplant topped with that I had a 50% chance of surviving through the first night!  God pulled me through all of it!  The search for my donor was started on April 28th and in July we were told that a donor (8 out of 10 match) was found.  At first I questioned whether or not this may the right donor!!  What??  Of course this is the right donor!!  Look what God has carried me through so far and I know He is by my side now ready to carry me through the transplant and recovery! 
I know many people have been praying for me and I have peace in my heart that everything will be just great!  All of this happened to me for a reason; the number one reason is the realization of how important God and family should be in my life.  I thank God for every day but most of all the beautiful family he has given me. 

Another reason I feel I’ve been “chosen” to go through this is because I have noticed there is a huge need for education on bone marrow donor registration and I want to help with this.  Bottom line, more donors are needed!!  So many people are misinformed on the actual bone marrow donation procedure therefore they shy away from signing up.  They couldn’t find a 10 out of 10 for me, who knows if more people were signed up to be donors, would they have found one?  I was having a discussion with my Oncologist last week and he said that most everyone would have a match if more people were signed up to be a donor.

This has now become my mission!   I am very thankful to the person in Europe who is willing to give me his bone marrow.  Essentially he is offering me the gift of life!  As soon as I am back from Seattle and able, I want to help start raise awareness regarding bone marrow donor registration.  I am one person in the middle of the United States so I’m not sure how I will get started but I am passionate and want to make a difference!

We will keep you updated on the progress in Seattle!  God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment